prof. G.B.M. (Godfried) Engbersen
- Professor of Sociology
Godfried Engbersen (b.1958) was appointed to the Council on 1 September 2014. He is Professor of Sociology Research Director of the Sociology department at Erasmus University Rotterdam. Key themes in his research are social inequality and the unintended consequences of policy and knowledge. His current research is focused on transnationalism, labour migration from Central and Eastern Europe and the relationships between international migration and criminality.
Professor Engbersen has previously worked as a researcher at Leiden University (1984-1990) and University of Amsterdam (1989-1990). From 1993 to 1998 he was Professor of Welfare State and Social Inequality at Utrecht University. In the spring of 1996 he was Visiting Professor at the Centre for Western European Studies at the University of California, Berkeley.
Godfried Engbersen studied Western sociology at Leiden University and obtained his doctorate in 1990 with a thesis on social assistance benefits and the emergence of an underclass in the Netherlands (Publieke bijstandsgeheimen: het ontstaan van een onderklasse in Nederland).
He was a member of the Advisory Committee on Aliens Affairs (ACVZ) from 2001 to 2008 and a correspondent for the OECD’s Continuous Reporting System on Migration (SOPEMI) from 2002 to 2013.
Godfried chais the projects 'Migration diversity' and 'Middle Classes under pressure?'.
Other activities/public offices
- Chairman of the Dutch Sociological Association (Nederlandse Sociologische Vereniging, NSV)
- Chairman of the Social Minimum Committee (until June 30, 2023)
- Member of the Academy’s Scientific Integrity Complaints Committee
- Member of the advisory board of the Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute (NIDI)
- Member of the Royal Dutch Society of Sciences and Humanities (Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen, KHMW)
- Member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen, KNAW)
- Member of the Scientific Council of the Institute GAK
- Member of the Social Impact Team (Maatschappelijk Impact Team, MIT)
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the Rotterdam Institute for Social Science Policy Research (Rotterdams Instituut voor Sociaal-wetenschappelijk Beleidsonderzoe, Risbo)
Better Work: The Impact of Automation, Flexibilization and Intensification of Work
- The Fall of the Middle Class? Stability and Vulnerability in the Middle Segment of Society
- No time to lose: from reception to integration of asylum migrants (Policy brief 4)
- Making migration work. The future of labour migration in the European Union