prof. J.E.J. (Corien) Prins
Corien Prins (1961) was appointed as the new Chair of the Netherlands Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR) with effect from 1 April 2017. She is Professor of Law and Information Technology at Tilburg Law School (Tilburg University), and until 2008 was president of the Tilburg Institute of Law, Technology, and Society (TILT). Since 2009 she has been a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). She is a member of the selection Advisory Committee of the parquet of the Supreme Court
Professor Prins studied Slavic languages and Literature at Leiden University from 1980-1984 and began studying Law at the same university in 1983, graduating in 1986. She obtained her doctorate in 1991 under the supervision of Professor H. Franken (and co-supervisor Professor. S. Levitsky from Columbia University, New York), with a thesis entitled Computer program protection in the USSR: a new era for socialist copyright law.
Professor Prins was a WRR Council member from 2008 to 2013, where she was involved in the project ‘Policy, Information and Technology’ (‘Beleid, informatie en technologie); which led to the publication of the report iOverheid (‘iGovernment’ – Report 86, 2011). She was also engaged in the project ‘Justice and Transparency’ (‘Rechtspraak en transparantie’), which led to the publication in January 2013 of the Investigation ‘Scope for a more transparent justice system’ (Speelruimte voor transparantere rechtspraak) (2013).
- Professor of Law and Information Technology at Tilburg Law School (Tilburg University)
- Member of Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW)
- Member of Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities (KHMW)
- Member Netherlands Academy of Technology and Innovation (AcTI)
- Chair of the Supervisory Board of Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR)
- Member selection AdvisoryCommittee parquet Supreme Court
- Member Advisory Board Goldschmeding Foudation
- Member editorial board Computer Law & Security Report, Elsevier
- Member editorial Information and Communications Technology Law, Carfax Publishing, UK
- Member Advisory Board, International Data Privacy Law, Oxford University Press
- Member of editorial board of Nederlands Juristenblad (legal journal)